Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Good on you...

At the risk of making people think twice about being candid in their communications with me, I am going to post an excerpt from a friend's email:

...Read your book mate. I really enjoyed it. It's un-Australian of me to say this but you write very well, in my humble opinion. Good on you...


Ha!  I loved reading that - it so summarizes a big part of the Australian identity.  To paraphrase:  I'm going to give you a compliment, but first I have to signpost it / apologize by noting that it's not quite the Australian thing to be saying something nice in such a straightforward way.

This whole country is an antidote to the Montessori, everyone-wins-first-place attitude.  No wonder I like it here.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mike,
    I enjoyed your interview on ABC. Would you be interested in an interview on our podcast? Please email me thesailingpodcast@gmail.com
    Thanks, David

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mike,
    I was listening to your interview on ABC Life Matters with Richard Aedy and found it absolutely fascinating, thinking all the time how brave you and Alisa are, and what strength of character you both have to attempt such a journey with two small children.

    I am the president of Friends of Ipswich Library and Information Service, a voluntary group supporting and linking the library to the community. As we are preparing the programme for next year I was wondering if you would be interested in speaking at our Literary Luncheon on 6 October 2012.

    If you are available then please e-mail me at vanyve_9@hotmail.com
    Regards
    Yvonne van de Wiel

    ReplyDelete